Oregon Will a ground source heat pump work

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Kode, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Kode

Kode New Member

in the high desert area of Oregon?

I'm planning to build a retirement home in a dry, high desert area of Central Oregon. The water table is very low but has been reliable long-term. Wells are anywhere from about 400 feet to 700 feet deep to get to the aquifer.

My impression is that water is needed for a geothermal heat pump to work but I don't know whether that is actually true, so this is the place to find out.

What about horizontal loops? Annual temps run from about -5°F to 100-110°F and the soil remains dry with low precipitation in all seasons. Is this a good place for a geothermal heat pump? Most residential heating is air-source heat pump with electric or gas backup.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  2. SShaw

SShaw Active Member Forum Leader

Water isn't necessary for a GSHP. You could do a vertical or horizontal system. If gas is available, the GSHP may not provide significant savings in heating season, deepening upon the relative pricing for gas and electric.

Kode likes this.
  3. gsmith22

gsmith22 Active Member Forum Leader

wet soil transmits heat better than dry soil. but dry soil still transmits heat so there is nothing inherently wrong with using a GSHP in a relatively dry region. It will ultimately affect the loop size with additional and/or deeper wells or additional and/or longer horizontal loops all other things being equal relative to a less dry region. soil conductivity is a property entered into the design calcs for the loop