Water hammer that isnt

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by RonL, Feb 3, 2021.

1. RonL

RonL Member

I've discovered that my water hammer sound is actually originating from my flow guage. The clear tube with the floating metal bullet in it.
    Is there a different type of flow guage I can put in to eliminate this .. something digital maybe.
    I am actually amazed at how much sound is transmitted by that little metal slide when it falls. I need to read from 3 - 9 gpm roughly.

2. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Hi and welcome!
    A flow meter is not a required item for a geo system. I will assume you have a open loop? A dole valve could be installed in place of the flow meter. It regulates flow via a orifice. They can be noisy as well. You could have PT ports installed on the unit and use a pressure gauge in the port to read the pressure differential through the coil. Compare this differential to the chart for your unis coax coil and use a simple ball valve to adjust the flow rate.
    Hope this helps.
    Eric

3. RonL

RonL Member

I've tried the dole valve and that was terrible. I will probably put in a pressure reducer (,,yes open loop fed from my well) but just wanted to replace my current float style gauge with a digital one. When that float falls, it makes quite a pound. I would never have thought it was the culprit.