Using ductless mini-splits with ground source

Discussion in 'Geothermal Heat Pump Applications' started by Thom Moore, Dec 30, 2023.

1. Thom Moore

Thom Moore New Member

Mini-split ductless air handling with air source heat pumps seems commonplace these days. However, when I inquire about swapping a ground source compressor into an existing air source system, the answer seems to be that no one does this. Waterfurnace in particular does not reportedly support air handlers other than their own, which is intended for central distribution through ductwork. I own one of those systems and it's clear that the compressors are tightly integrated with the remote air handler to allow the fan to track the multiple stages of the compressor.

Dandelion Energy makes a cursory mention that they support a VRF (variable rate flow) ductless system, but they don't operate where I want to do this. Anyone know of other GS heat pump suppliers who support multiple ductless air handlers? I would think there is or will be a huge market for retrofits in areas where ductwork is seldom found because most fossil systems were forced hot water baseboard systems.

Thanks for any pointers...
    Thom Moore
    Scarborough ME