New York Red thermostat. T-stat comm err

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Colton Weber, Dec 16, 2023.

1. Colton Weber

Colton Weber Member

So Ive had my 5 series open loop system for a few years now. Yesterday I went to turn the system fan on to cicruclate some air.

I saw the selection of "intermittent fan". I had never used it before so I selected it.

Now my thermostat lights up red. Says phone contractor.

T-stat com err reset trip

Ive turned power to the whole unit off. Disconnected the thermostat. Nothing works.

Its about 30deg outside right now. House dropped from 68 down to 64 degs overnight.

Attached Files:

2. SShaw

SShaw Active Member Forum Leader

That error would indicate a communications problem between the thermostat and the unit.

Start by checking the wiring to make sure everything is connected and the wires are all in the right place.

Looks like the stat has a button to reset the error ("Reset Trip"). I'd try that next.

If that doesn't resolve things you probably need to call your installer.

3. Colton Weber

Colton Weber Member

I spent some time messing with the unit. Breaker on and off. Taking the thermostat off the wall I noticed the row of 5 pins that connect the thermostat to the wall plate had come un soldered. I wiggled the row of 5 pins and the while thing fell off. I soldered them back to the board and plugged it in and it worked. Pretty crappy build quality on the thermostat if you ask me. Unit is only 2-3 yrs old.

SShaw likes this.
  4. mrpac

mrpac Member

I’ll bet it felt great knowing that you fixed your system Colton. Thanks for sharing your feedback, its bound to happen to someone else!

5. SShaw

SShaw Active Member Forum Leader

Good to hear you were able to solve it. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.