New York How to keep heating handler at attic warm

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by timmot, Oct 29, 2014.

1. timmot

timmot New Member

Hi all, My home heating/cooling system uses forced air. Heating runs by using hot water go through handler and forced air blows heat to the rooms. There are two handlers. One at attic for 2nd floor and one located basement for 1st floor. The water pipe in the handler at attic broken twice at extreme cold weather during my vacation. Anybody can teach me how to keep the handler at attic warm during extreme code weather? Thanks.

2. SeekingAdvice

SeekingAdvice Member

Well the good news is your attic is insulated well (or else your pipes wouldn't freeze).
    Are the pipes insulated?, that is where I would start first.
    I assume that the pipe freezes happen when the system is not running?
    Is it a closed loop system that takes the water up to the attic (constant re-circulation loop)? If that is the case, I would think you could use some type of anti-freeze.

Please note, I am not an HVAC professional, so hopefully one of the actual pros will weigh in.
    But giving any extra details would help get the best answer.

3. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

I would build a room around the attic unit and heat the space. Doesnt need walls so much as a frame to hold up insulation.

4. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Site unseen, I 2nd Joe's advice. If nothing else, don't turn heat down as low as you may have been during vacations. System will then run more often and warmer space below attic may help stave off pipe freezing.

PEX piping is said to be less vulnerable to freeze failures...just a thought, not sure if practical or useful to you.