h. cameron - diy install

Discussion in 'Geothermal Heat Pump Testimonials' started by h cameron, Jan 3, 2012.

1. h cameron

h cameron New Member

Installed GeoMax II HTV048 by Heat Controller in September 2011 myself. Open loop system. Well producing 33 gpm. Static level 50 feet, never goes lower at 6 gpm on 1st stage and approximately 8-9 on 2nd stage. Outdoor temperature last week was -8 .Kept house at 72 degrees constantly (2400 sq.ft log home. Entering water temperature is 50 degrees and leaving about 44 degrees. Temperature at register 50 feet from furnace is 92 degrees, 1st stage and 2nd stage 96 to 98. Never runs on 2nd stage unless jump thermostat by 2 degrees. Also heats hot water for domestic use to 125 degrees. Water meter in line on exit side of taco valves back to a dug well which was originally used for past 70 years as main water source. Return air temperature at heat exchanger about 70 degrees. Used 3/4 inch pex for all plumbing and one inch from well to 86 gallon pressure tank with 26 gal. supply before pump engages at 40 psi. Shuts off at 55 psi.
    Found system very easy to set up. Only needed electrician to do electrical to panel. Thermosat is a Honeywell 8320 (3 heat/2 cool). Added 10,000 kw electric strip inside geothermal furnace. Don't use because too expensive on hydro, only extreme emergencies.
    So far hydro is averaging 60 kw a day in 24 hour period at 8 cents/kw as off today, January 3rd, 2012. We are in Ontario, Canada, 50 miles nw of Ottawa.

2. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Great

I have always said that reading and common sense go a long way.

Good job.

Mark

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  3. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

geomax

Never heard of GeoMax so you made me look. Looks like somebody buys WF and puts their logos on it.

Easy to do when you already have a well and discharge pit:)

4. Mark Custis

The unit

Is a Climate Master re-brand as it carries the CXM control system. Mark Harmond is their best tech help guy, but needs to know you are not just learning.

5. h cameron

h cameron New Member

diy geomax II

Bought unit from local dealer. Did many many months of research into all kinds of units before decided on this one, so am familiar with theory of how geothermal works. Mine is built by Heat Controller in Jackson, Michigan according to manual. Just wanted others on forum to know how well it works as I appreciate all the information I have gathered from the geoexchange forum. Had to drill 2nd well as first one did not have enough water. Switched new well and got 33 gpm plus at 330 ft. More than enough. Well I dump into waters the livestock so good on all counts. Also have temp guages on both entering and leaving as well as to and from hot water tank. I am very mechanically inclined. Could not afford pricing of proff. installers in my area after drilling two wells.

Bill Littmann likes this.
  6. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Mechanically inclined

I need to find an aptitude test for finding good mechanically inclined staff:)

I think I'm just going to default to "did you grow up on a farm". The rest will take care of itself:)

7. h cameron

h cameron New Member

diy geomax II

Yes. You guessed it right. Grew up on farm and close to the dollar as name implies. Only one other geothermal close to me. Has had one for 21 years and has not had a problem, only replaced one well pump. Don't know brand name of his. They have not taken off here as of yet, but am sure they will.

8. Mark Custis

I have found

that motorheads in USA make great HVAC folks. Farmers too, but not as much.

lol

Mark

I still do not get 351 Windsor vs. 351 Cleveland.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  9. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

Congrats on a successful project. You must have a very well insulated house.
    The only thing I would point out to future DIYs is not to avoid second stage. Ottawa has a design low of -13F so there should be significant 2nd stage contribution at -8.
    If you design out second stage you are creating a less efficient single stage heat pump.
    That said, in this particular project since no ground loops were purchased the net cost is likely similar, but we often find oversized heat pumps can create less hot water (due to shorter run times) and cost more to run (due to larger compressor). They also require larger duct systems. High end op cost consequence seldom reaches 50USD so it is not a terrific amount of money, but when you consider hundreds for the larger unit it starts to add up.
    Don't want to imply that the unit in this application is grossly over sized, many homes fall in the 1/2 ton range not offered in 2 stage equipment at this time. I simply want to emphasize that and money spent on the design side can have great payback long term.

10. h cameron

h cameron New Member

geomax

Yes you are probably right. Slightley oversized. 3 Ton would have done the job for 2400 sq ft. House is well insulated with low E argon windows and doors. Geo thermal mass from log walls. Unit runs in cold weather (today 0 F) 10 to 15 minutes and off for same time. Does not go on 2nd stage unless drops 2 degrees which never happens as 1st stage will raise temp automatically to 71 degrees as thermostat is set to. I can put it to 2nd stage for quick heat by raising thermostat by 2 degrees. Would take 10 minutes. Not familiar with settings for thermostat that would kick on 2nd stage automatically after so many minutes run time.Thank you for info. Still learning and looking to improve.