Gurgle when stopping

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by RonL, Jul 4, 2023.

1. RonL

RonL Member

When a geo turns off, should it make a gurgle type sound like the water is equalizing, or maybe boiling ? (Open loop) operation is fine, water valve opens, fan turns on, compressor starts. It finishes its cooling and everything turns off. And now I hear a gurgling, doesn't really sound like boiling, but could be. If it was, wouldnt there be bubbles working there way through on the next start up ? It lasts maybe 30 seconds or so. It could have always done this, I'm not sure, I just happened to notice it. Is that a normal thing ? No bubbles in the outflow .

2. bpsmicro

bpsmicro New Member

My guess would be that your discharge line is draining, and you're hearing air bubbling back up. If it's that, nothing to worry about. If you have a sump pump with a long discharge, you'd typically hear something similar. Can you see where the discharge is coming from? If you see water draining out for a short time after the geo turns off, that's being replaced by air going back in.

If your discharge water was actually reaching boiling temperatures, that'd be bad. :)