New York Fixture to add Corrosion inhibitor

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Steve Toorongian, May 20, 2020.

  1. Steve Toorongian

    Steve Toorongian New Member

    Hi I'm looking for some kind of fixture I can use to add corrosion inhibitor to the radiant side of my Geo thermal/radiant system. I have had to replace two pressure tanks in 5 years due to pinholing. I started using Sentinel X-100 corrosion inhibitor and it seems to be helping. The problem is how to add it to the loop on the radiant side. I am currently adding the whole quart to a garden hose and blasting it into the system with water pressure. It works but is messy and its hard to tell when its all in. Does anyone know of a fixture such as a bowl type container similar to a carbon filter bowl that I could just pour the Sentinel x-100 into and open the in and out valves and flush it into the system? Then I could bypass the bowl when not in use. Sentinel makes a syringe injection set-up but its intended for small amounts and its kinda dodgey. Any suggestions are welcome!
  2. waterpirate

    waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

    Hi and welcome! If you are handy with plumbing any whole house filter assembly on the radiant side without the filter installed should do the trick. Simply install a shut off valve on both sides of the canister and install the filter housing full of the corrosion inhibitor. open both valves and the inhibiter will be circulated in the radiant side of the system.
    Hope this helps
  3. arkie6

    arkie6 Active Member Forum Leader

    A 1 gallon pump up garden sprayer with an air needle on the end of the hose can be your pressurized source. This along with a Pressure-Temperature port, i.e. PT or Pete's port, installed in the plumbing would allow injection of your inhibitor. You can get the PT ports and injection needles online at most geothermal suppliers or even ebay.
  4. Steve Toorongian

    Steve Toorongian New Member

    I have Pete's port installed but what kind of air needle attaches to the end of a garden spray. I have a basketball inflation needle that might work but how would I attach it?
  5. arkie6

    arkie6 Active Member Forum Leader

    Just cut the spray nozzle off the end of the hose, apply some RTV silicone to the threads of the basketball inflation needle, insert the threaded portion into the end of the hose, install a small worm-drive hose clamp and tighten. Allow ~12 hours for RTV to cure before applying pressure. You might also get a 1/4" barb fitting shutoff valve and install in the line to provide flow control. This valve and the hose clamps can be procured at any home improvement or hardware store and would be installed with the same worm-drive hose clamps. It isn't pretty, but it is functional. You may want to wrap some black electrical tape over the tag end of the hose clamps.

Share This Page